The ultimate objective of LifeGene health is to improve public health through providing an open resource to researchers. There will be a focus on disease etiology and everyday health problems. Growing health concerns, e.g. obesity, diabetes, allergies, psychiatric disorders, will be addressed. Susceptibility to common infections and the underlying mechanisms for infections being risk factors in development of chronic disease will be studied.
Study features will be:
- Ascertaining a cohort of at least 200 000 Swedes.
- Repeated assessment of in depth exposure information through electronic means (web, cell-phones, digital paper and TV, etc).
- Repeated surveillance of morbidity through electronic means, including algorithm based assessment of diagnoses for outcomes not typically reported in national health registers, quality registers or ascertained via hospital discharge (e.g. acute infections, psychiatric disorders, allergy, IBS).
- Linkage with all available sources of medical record information (inpatient registry, cancer registry, and when possible, through primary care records).
- Collection of DNA and serum/plasma from all members of the cohort at initiation.
- Collection of other tissues (whole blood, serum/plasma, CSF, skin biopsies, etc.) as specific research questions dictate.